Wednesday, February 1, 2012

5 Minute Baby T-Shirts

As a cloth diapering mom, I have experienced the frustration of finding onesies that fit properly over that fluffy bottom. Besides, when I spend money on a cute printed cover or I make a wool cover, the last thing I want to do is cover it up! So, I typically lean towards t-shirts. Now, I have a surplus of onesies that are too small in the rear but fit just fine in the shoulders...then I realized I can recycle those onesies into T-Shirts! Here's how:

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert seamstress, I am self taught so my methods might not be considered "ideal". I just do what works for me through trial-and-error.

One: Find a Onesie that still fits in the shoulders

My 8 month old daughter typically wears a 12 month Onesie. This is a 6 monther!
Two: Cut that Onesie at the hip. Be sure to use really sharp fabric scissors to keep it nice and straight. 
I like the t-shirts to be as long as possible, but cut it shorter if you prefer.
Three: Measure your seam allowance (how far from edge your seam is) and iron down the seam. I like to use a measure to be precise. I just measure as I go, but you can press the seam and pin it, if you like. This will ensure your seam is even all the way around. 


I typically use a 1/2 inch seam allowance. 


Four: Set up your machine. I use the double overlock stitch (two lines with zigzag in between) because I'm lazy like that. Most people will tell you to finish your raw edges first, but I find the overlock stitch does the job just fine without unraveling. 




Five: Sew that hem! Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam.


Start at the side seam and work close to the raw edge. This material is a stretchy knit, but the overlock stitch can handle the stretchiness so I don't like to stretch it very much as I go. 


You can see that I stitched as close to the raw edge as possible.
Six: Trim your threads and you're done!
Complete!
Seven: Have your model try it on. 
Lookin good Olive!
Do you have any ideas for recycling your old onesies? Please share them in the comments!

1 comment: